Thursday, May 6, 2010

[Avatar] A very insightful article on Avatar -- "Avatar and Empire"

With the release of Avatar on Blu-Ray, I found what I found to be a very insightful and concise review of Avatar, yes, Avatar by Naomi Wolf, entitled "Avatar and Empire." She suggests Avatar is the first mainstream movie that looks at the United States from the perspective of the rest of the world. And, well, I think with a movie that costs of half a billion dollars, I would think it definitely would have been a grave mistake to film a movie that doesn't consider the perspective of the rest of the world.

And, no, Avatar is not a remake of Pocahontas.

On a side note, I can't think of a better example of a 1979 paper that models international trade using monopolistic competition and scale economies than this half a billion dollar movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment