Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Jaebeom of 2PM gets to go back

Aside from Lee Soo Young (이수영) and a select few songs, I don't really listen to Korean music. But, when I first heard this story and then read the details of it, I could not help but sympathize with lead singer, Jae-beom, a Korean-American, of the group 2PM:

Jae-beom issued an apology Saturday when comments he made in 2005-2007 to an acquaintance in United States were revealed by fans. The singer wrote comments like ``Korea is gay. I hate Koreans. I wanna come back'' on his social networking Web site myspace, enraging fans who later commented that they were disappointed and some even felt betrayed by his posts.

The Korean-American singer at that time was an understudy at JYP Entertainment, the current agency of the seven-member group``I first came to Korea as a high school freshman. I didn't know much about Korea nor the language and the food was different,'' Jae-beom said in the public apology. ``The comments that I made were emotional expressions of discontent over my situation at that time … I sincerely apologize.''

Jae-beom debuted in 2PM in 2008, and the group has become one of hottest in Korea ("2PM Leader Jae-beom’s Past Comments Enrage Korean Fans Despite Apology" : The Korea Times)

I mean, to be honest, when I first set foot there at twenty, it would be dishonest for me to say I didn't make similar comments or hold those very same feelings that have upset so many Koreans.

No comments:

Post a Comment